Recipes / Word of Julie
Blue Honeyberry and Orange Scones
Breakfasts & Snacks
Dense and lightly sweet, these scones are delicious for breakfast or for tea time.
- Portions : 8
- Preparation : 20 minutes
- Baking : 20-25 minutes
- 375 ml (1 ½ cup) all-purpose flour
- 15 ml (1 tablespoon) baking powder
- 45 ml (3 tablespoons) sugar
- 1 pinch of salt
- 125 ml (1/2 cup) cold unsalted butter, cut into cubes
- 75 ml (1/3 cup) milk
- 1 egg, beaten
- Zest of one orange
- 5 ml (1 teaspoon) vanilla extract
- 250 ml (1 cup) fresh blue honeyberries
- 15 ml (1 tablespoon) maple flakes or sugar
- Preheat oven to 180⁰C (350⁰F).
- In a large bowl, mix together the flour, baking powder, sugar and salt. Add cubes of butter and work into the flour with your hands until the mixture is light and crumbly. Set aside.
- In another bowl, combine the milk, egg, zest of orange and vanilla. Add to the dry ingredients and mix well.
- On a lightly floured surface, shape the dough into a ball. With your hands, flatten and form into a disk about 1 cm (1/2 in.) thick. Spread the blue honeysuckle berries on the dough. If you need to, add more flour to your floured surface. Fold the dough over and reshape into a disk about 2.5 cm (1 in.) thick. With a knife, cut into eight pie-shaped wedges and place on a baking sheet lined with parchment paper.
- If desired, baste the top of the scones with a mixture of egg and milk. Sprinkle with maple flakes (or sugar) and bake for 20-25 minutes or until the tops of the scones are lightly browned.